Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Reflection essay

The Hot Zone
The Hot Zone was a terrifying story about diseases that weren’t curable, and could kill a person in a week or so. The book has a great effect on me. It reminds me of the true events of diseases that happened in England with the plague killing everyone. It makes me think that if it could happen there it can happen here real easy, and it makes me scared that I could come down with a disease a die from something that I wouldn’t know about until it is too late.
The text reminds me of some Stephen King books I have read because they don’t end with a nice ending they seem to keep on going, and the only difference is that one is true and the other is fiction. The way the author wrote this book made me feel as if it was a fictional story of the dangerous disease. It had so much tension or thriller point where somebody could have the disease but didn’t.
Imagery was significant because it contributed to the scary effects of the disease. The scenes in the book made me feel as though I was walking through the villages looking at all the really sick people. With these images it made me feel sorrow and remorse for these people’s lives. The parts where they talked about the order of the symptoms and described in so much detail of what happened like the last symptom the bleed out made me see all that blood going everywhere. I couldn’t help but imagine other things as the author described it because I could actually picture patient’s blood pooling out of their mouths. The autopsies were so visional. I could actually imagine the people who died from the Marburg disease have guts made out of pudding and jelly.
This book has made me think about how they author was right that these diseases could easily jump from primate to primate easily since humans are related to primates. The true facts from this book have been such a thriller. The terrifying story has put so much perspective about being safer about diseases.

No comments:

Post a Comment