Monday, July 10, 2023

Invasive Plants

 Hello ya'll, 

I do not know who will be visiting this post so I will simplify everything, so, even if you are not a biologist you will know what I am meaning when I mention these terms.  So I mentioned that there are native and invasive plants. Native plants are plants that were always in the area and were never introduced, and is the plants that animals have used as food. Invasive plants are plants that were brought to the area from ship, vehicle, or humans. They choke out the native plants and are detrimental to the environment. Animals can't eat them, and sometimes the invasive plants can be dangerous if ingested or touched. 

Job responsibilities includes managing invasive plants. Ways to accomplish this is by using the weed management. Which includes chemical, physical, mechanical, cultural, and biological control.  Chemical control is the use of herbicides. Physical control for example is weed pulling by hand or cutting with shears. Mechanical control for example is mowing or weed whacking,  Cultural control for example is prescribed burns. Lastly biological control is releasing a bio agent that will control a specific plant and not harm native plants. 

As you can imagine using chemical control is the main usage of controlling invasive. I was terrified because I didn't want to use to much chemical and be fined for over usage or use too little chemical and not make a difference in maintaining weeds. I was very careful when using the chemicals because you have to apply the herbicide in the right temperature and wind conditions so you do not cause a drift issue. If the temperature was too hot or too cold the plants would be stressed and wouldn't absorb the chemical through their pores. Wind speed had to be between 2 and 10 miles per hour anything higher or lower could also cause a drift issue. I had to purchase a portable wind gauge as shown below with link.

https://amzn.to/3XFv4aV


So once conditions are favorable then we choose the herbicide by which invasive plant we are trying to target. For example I would use milestone to target scotch thistle. The label gives information on how much to disperse based on acreage. I mainly learned all this information by preparing for my pesticide license. All this information was dropped on me this first month I was employed.  I felt like my brain had overflowed with soo much information.  Just by reading this I feel like I might have placed too much info for just the regular joe. I must say the first time spraying was a success. My field that I managed had little invasive plants and I didn't over spray. Even my manager complimented me on field when he saw.  It was the best wheat field he saw during the first year planting. So Whoot!!!

Until next time, 

Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment